Dr. Timothy R. Daniels obtained his Orthopaedic Specialty from University of Saskatchewan in 1991. He completed a 12-month foot and ankle fellowship with Dr. J. Smith and Dr. L. Fleming at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia and an additional 3 months at the Milwaukee County Medical Complex with Dr. J. Gould and Dr. G. Harris in their gait mechanics lab with emphasis on biomechanics of the foot and ankle. Dr. Daniels began his foot and ankle practice at the Wellesley Hospital in Toronto, Ontario in June 1993. In 1994 he established a Foot Clinic, a multi-disciplinary centre for patients with various kinds of foot and ankle pathology. Presently, he is Associate Professor and Head of the Foot and Ankle Program at University of Toronto, and Head of Division of Orthopaedics at St. Michael’s Hospital.
Dr. Daniels serves as Associate Editor to the journal Foot and Ankle International and is a reviewer for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am) and Journal of American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Other notable positions held to date:
- 1993-pres.: Co-founder and Coordinator of the Biennial Foot and Ankle Symposia held in Toronto (since 2003 this meeting has become a bi-coastal annual event renamed the Canadian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Symposium, alternating between Toronto, Ontario and Vancouver, British Columbia)
- 1999-02: Canada’s Representative, AOFAS (Am. Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society) International Committee
- 2004-07: Co-Founder and Past President, COFAS (Canadian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society) Canada’s Representative, IFFAS (International Federation of Foot and Ankle Societies)
- 2010-13: Research Chair, AOFAS
- 2011-pres.: Chair and PI, COFAS 5-Yr Ankle Arthritis Study Group
- 2012: Chair, Foot and Ankle Research, St. Michael’s Foundation
- 2013: Member at Large, American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Association (AOFAS) Board of Directors
He is the recipient of the following awards:
- Orthopaedic Chair's Teaching Award - for contributions to orthopaedic education as selected by the residents: Division of orthopaedics, Department of surgery, University of Toronto
- Jameel Ali Continuing Education Award (Department of Surgery, U of T)
- The COA award of merit (Canadian Orthopaedic Association)
- Two-time recipient of the “Takakura Award”at International Federation of Foot and Ankle Societies (IFFAS): 2005, 2014. The IFFAS Takakura Prize is awarded for the best clinical paper presented at the Triennial Meeting of the International Federation of Foot & Ankle Societies. The prize is named in honor of and given by IFFAS founder Yoshinori Takakura, MD.
- Three-time recipient of the prestigious American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) “Roger A. Mann Award”: 2008, 2012, 2014. This prestigious award is given in recognition of the outstanding clinical paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society.. The award is named in honor of AOFAS Past President Roger A. Mann, MD. The AOFAS is the largest and most prestigious Foot and Ankle Society in the world.
Dr. Daniels is recognized as Canada’s top Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle surgeon. He is the physician to whom other orthopaedists send their most complex and challenging foot and ankle cases – from all over Canada, US, Europe, Middle East, South Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and South America. His surgical skills and research publications have placed him in the top 26 of World’s best Foot and Ankle surgeons.